Neighborhood

Monday, December 5, 2011

Meeting Mr. Nasri Attallah, the man behind "Our Man in Beirut"

I must say I was a tad bit excited to meet Mr. Atallah. After hearing  how wonderfully innovative he is as well as "charmingly handsome with some wolfish tendencies" (i wont quote the girl) I was curious to see for myself. After having read some of his blog posts, my general impression of this man ranged from cynical, wickedly smart and overall highly witty and disenchanted and above all, a writer. Im happy to have his blog posts available in hard copy. The internet is a disaster in this country.

Sector 75 located in Gemayzeh proved to be somewhat difficult to find. The statement "girls cant read maps" is in fact true and we ended up circling the area a little less then three times, till at last we found it. A door, hardly noticeable leading us into a very loud, smoking and cheerful commotion. I estimated about 50 people in this room all standing in line to get Mr. Atallah's book autographed by none other than Our Man in Beirut, Mr. Atallah himself.




I asked him how he felt about this huge and unique success. He replied, "I've never experienced anything like it. This is definitely one of the greatest moments of my life, if not the best."

The widest grin I've ever seen and this silent need to bounce about. He greeted everyone like a long lost friend. Very polite and highly sincere, he asked me to please enjoy and thanked me for coming.




No comments:

Post a Comment